Termites damage can seriously the structure of a house or building. Many years ago, it was believed that it was necessary to conduct a house inspection to determine if there were any problems with termites in the house before buying a property. If there was no evidence of active termite damage, it was assumed that the house or building or structure was not affected by termite damage.
In some cases, serious damage to the house or building was caused by termites, which were detected only after the purchase of the property.
In addition to the inspection carried out by the engineers, prior to purchase, carry out an inspection to identify problems, which should be carried out by a qualified specialist in wood termite treatment.
A termite wood damage specialist will also be able to recommend prophylactic options to control existing termite infection. A qualified specialist can also recommend options to help prevent future termite damaged wood.
“Termites – any of numerous pale-colored soft-bodied social insects (order Isoptera) that live in colonies consisting usually of winged sexual forms, wingless sterile workers, and soldiers, feed on wood, and include some which are very destructive to wooden structures and trees.”
Termites (Isoptera), a detachment of herbivorous insects, popularly known as “white ants”, but they are very far from real ants. The main food of termites is cellulose contained in wood, grass and leaves of trees, so they can cause significant economic damage (according to various studies, several billion dollars a year), damaging wooden structures and all that is high in pulp: books, wooden tools , wooden floors, wooden window sills, railings, decorative plants with wood elements, etc. Their secrecy and tactics of eating wood, in which its surface looks completely intact, are the reason for the late detection. Termites do not tolerate open contact with air, and also do not tolerate light. Now, you need to learn how to investigate their possible presence in the house.
Termites can be identified in the following ways:
1. Regularly check wooden products or house structures made of wood. A closer look reveals small round holes or heaps of sawdust.
2. Check for tiny reddish-brown, reddish-brown, or black feces.
3. Tap on wood. If you hear an empty and dull sound, then the termites inside have already created a home for themselves.
In short, termites are small insects that can cause a lot of damage to the wooden members of your home, or any other structure. For treatment, please refer to a registered termite company, but for repairs, call Good Life Construction. Along with dry rot, termite damage is the second most common finding in the wood repair industry. Repairs must be performed along with the required treatment for an effective repair solution to the specific areas of your home. Here at Good Life, we have what it takes to protect your home and to provide long-lasting repairs, utilizing high quality products and skilled carpenters to produce that result.
To prevent the appearance of termites in the house, it is necessary, if possible, to take the following preventive measures:
1. Build your house necessarily on a high foundation, ie so that wooden structures are above ground level, and not in contact with it. When building a house, use wood that some termite families might not like. For example, cedar, mahogany and other species that you can ask builders about.
2. If the house is already built, then you can dig a trench 100 * 100 cm around it, and fill it with sand. Termites tend to move in the ground, and will not dig their way through the sand. For greater reliability, the poured sand can be treated with some insecticides or other means against wood insects.
3. The natural environment for termite life, moist soil, so if your house is surrounded by it, try to get rid of it.
4. Pay attention that water does not accumulate around your house. Think or consult with a specialist how to make a drain.
5. Avoid excessive humidity in the house, and also use moisture repellents.
6. If there are any boards, firewood, hemp, or other wooden materials near the house, remove them away, because they can attract the attention of termites.
7. If you find cracks or crevices in the walls of your property, seal them up, as through them, termites can easily access the house.
8. Use special films that are placed on brick and other walls that serve as a “screen” against termites and other wood-boring insects.
Termites are typically found and identified in the wood members of a structure such as: siding, trims, framing, rafters, roofing, decking and subarea framing. Here at Good Life with we have years of experience and are skilled in the termite repair process. We take pride in or work and strive to deliver the highest standard of construction. Your house is your biggest financial investment and protecting it is the next step in securing its value and structural longevity.
Sacramento, Elk Grove, Rancho Cordova, Carmichael, Folsom, El Dorado Hills, Granite Bay, Loomis, Auburn, Rocklin, Lincoln, Roseville, Citrus Heights, Natomas, Davis, Woodland, West Sacramento
If you would like to evaluate the condition of your home or address an ongoing “TERMITE” issue, contact our office today at 916-833-1379.
Every inspection visit is FREE of charge and a detailed estimate will be provided outlining all necessary repair descriptions and associated costs. We are glad to perform a follow-up visit to walk through every item and and answer questions before scheduling work.
Important! Remember that termites, unlike other insects, are very difficult to independently remove. Therefore, if you find termites in your home, it is better, of course, to use the services of specialists, because they have the appropriate means, experience in their destruction and regular prevention.